It has been a while since I posted a recipe so I think it was about time!
This is literally the easiest and delicious side to any meal! Also, with football season back in full swing, this would be a great game day recipe to make along with some of my nachos!
-1 Italian loaf
-2 packages of mozzarella cheese slices
-3-4 green onions, roughly chopped
-1 stick butter at room temperature
-2-3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
-1/2 tsp oregano
-1/4 tsp thyme
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Finely chop garlic and mix it together with butter, oregano and thyme. Roughly chop green onions and set aside.
3. Cut the bread in strips, being careful not to cut all the way through the loaf. Rotate the bread, and cut in strips in the opposite direction.
4. Use half the butter mixture and with a butter knife, spread it between as many rows as possible of the cut bread. Take the cheese slices and green onions and stuff them between the rows. Melt the remaining butter and drizzle it all over the top.
5. Wrap it in foil and bake it for 25 minutes. Open up the foil and bake it for another 10-15 minutes, just until the cheese is melting and bubbly and the bread looks golden brown and crispy.
-A lot of recipes tell you to melt all the butter and spoon it on top, at the end. But I like to have the butter in as much of the crevices as possible which is why I like to spread half of it inside the rows before I add all the ingredients.
-You can make this with sourdough bread or any other bread that will hold its shape when you cut it.
-Use any cheese that you like, as long as it melts well!